Top 10 Things to do This Spring for your Trees, Shrubs & Plants
Spring is here, and while many people focus on spring cleaning their homes, the trees, shrubs, and other various plants that make up your landscape need some TLC as well. We have put together a list of the top 10 things you need to do this spring to keep your landscape beautiful and valuable. Be sure to contact us if you any questions or to schedule a free, no obligation consultation with one of our ISA Certified Arborists.
- Prune & Trim – Dead or broken branches on your trees and shrubs are future breeding grounds for disease and pests, and one way to prevent this problem is pruning and trimming. Pruning and trimming can enhance your plants’ health while maintaining their appearance.
- Monitor for Pests – In spring, many common pests, such as emerald ash borer, become active and spread to nearby plants. To prevent damage to your trees or the landscape surrounding your property, monitor your landscape for early signs of pests and contact a certified arborist if you suspect an infestation.
- Beware of Brown Leaves – Spring is when green leaves grow back. If your tree’s leaves are turning brown or curling up, you may have a problem that an arborist must treat.
- Fix Winter Damage – Winter storms, ice, and cold temperatures may have damaged some of your trees. Make sure to inspect your trees for signs of winter weather damage (for example, broken branches, bark splitting, or sun scald) and resolve any issues before they become fatal.
- Fertilize – Spring is a perfect time to fertilize your trees, shrubs, and plants to keep them healthy for the year.
- Clear the Base – As we mentioned, your plants can benefit from spring cleaning the same way your house does. Be sure to clear away old mulch and debris that may have piled up around the base of your trees and shrubs over the winter.
- Water When Dry – If it is a dry spring, be sure to keep your trees and plants healthy by regularly watering your landscape.
- Don’t Prune Prunes – While some trees benefit from pruning in the spring, fruit trees should ideally be pruned during winter.
- Get an Inspection – You want your landscape to bloom and look beautiful throughout spring and summer, right? Spring is a great time to call us for a landscape inspection to ensure your trees are healthy and present no potential risks.
- Schedule Your Preventive Maintenance – Be sure to schedule maintenance for trees that are susceptible to insects and disease, or that seem to be struggling. Pests like Emerald Ash Borer, Hemlock Wooly Adelgid, Sycamore Anthracnose, Bacterial Leaf Scorch, and Japanese Beetles can be caught early and prevented with proper maintenance. Spotted lanternfly is a common pest as well, and we are certified to work in all areas of spotted lanternfly infestation.
Why Choose Stein Tree Service?
Our staff is the best in the business and has hundreds of years of combined experience. We have ISA Certified Arborists, Certified Tree Risk Assessors, and other tree care specialists.
Our equipment is state-of-the-art and radio dispatched for immediate response. The company fleet consists of several aerial lift trucks, a spider lift, chippers, chipper trucks and stump grinding machines as well as various pieces of machinery for right of way work.
We have provided tree care services to thousands of customers throughout the Delaware Valley and maintain the highest level of customer satisfaction. The vast majority of our business comes to us via referrals from past customers. Contact us today!