Fall Maintenance Tips: Tips for Tree Trimming and Pruning in West Chester, PA
One reason to love living in West Chester, PA is the beauty of the autumn season. As September comes and changes into October, the trees throughout our neighborhoods and the forests beyond begin transforming into a fantastic display of reds, oranges, purples, and even golds. This seasonal change is something our team of arborists always looks forward to when tree trimming and pruning in West Chester, PA. But the change is more than just simple aesthetics; when leaves change we are reminded that the time for fall maintenance is upon us. The following is a look at some of the more important fall maintenance tips to keep mindful of and what services to call for when it comes to tree trimming and pruning in West Chester, PA.
Fall Maintenance Tips: Tips on Tree Trimming, Pruning, and More
- Water and Fertilize. Fall is a great time to bolster the health of soil that has been depleted of vital nutrients during summer growth. Adding nutrients and water will help your trees survive and prepare to thrive after winter’s cold.
- Ready tender young evergreens for winter chills. With just a few easy steps, you can help young evergreens thrive during the winter cold. A little winter assistance is especially important for species like boxwood, holly, and rhododendrons that have trouble replacing lost moisture. You can protect them by surrounding them with a shelter of burlap or similar heavy cloth. Creating a barrier with this material helps slow the wind and sun which both expedite transpiration. You may also want to use an anti-transpirant spray on the leaves of your favorite trees just after the season’s first hard frost.
- Remove Seedlings. Sprouted seedlings can root more firmly in the winter, just like your tree’s roots, and unwanted saplings could be established by spring.
- Remove Dead Trees. Dead trees are inviting to pests that could invade your other trees or your home.
- Schedule tree trimming and pruning in West Chester, PA. The best time to trim trees and shrubs is arguably in the fall and winter. This time is ideal as most trees will have less sap flowing and so trims and cuts will attract fewer pests and reduce the risk of disease. The temporary wounds will heal faster so that the plant stays strong and healthy throughout the winter while you get to enjoy a more beautiful and safer landscape. Trimming and pruning in fall also reduces the risk of damage during winter snows.
- Plant new trees or shrubs in the fall. If you want to add plants to your yard, September and into early October is a great time to ensure they get a head start at establishing roots in our region’s moist fall soil. Talk to our professionals for advice on specific plants to add.
Stein Tree Offers Fall Maintenance: Tree Trimming and Pruning in West Chester, PA Helps Prepare for Winter
Winters can be harsh in our area, so preparing in the fall is a smart way to ensure your plants and trees are ready for the weather. Tree trimming and pruning in West Chester, PA in the fall can help prevent the need for emergency storm clean up in the winter. For more fall tips, contact us at Stein Tree Service today.
REQUEST A FREE, NO OBLIGATION CONSULTATION
Stein Tree Earns Permit to Work in Spotted Lanternfly Quarantine Areas
Stein has a permit to work in spotted lanternfly quarantine areas in Pennsylvania and Delaware. Tree Service Companies have to be trained in proper moving and disposal of materials to avoid spread of the spotted lanternfly and Stein has completed the training courses. Learn more.
Emerald Ash Borer Inspection
In the spring, destructive emerald ash borer (EAB) adult beetles begin to emerge. These invasive pests can destroy your ash trees. Our specialists are certified to treat for EAB in Pennsylvania and Delaware. For a free consultation, contact us today.